Tuesday 31 March 2009

Smarties

I'm feeling guilty because I haven't swum a mile for a week, and the sponsored swim is coming up sooner than I had realised. Trouble is the chlorine is turning my hair into straw. I thought I'd do lots of walking instead and have been stomping a three mile circuit round the park regularly. There were some deer having a meeting by a stream today, and a heron chasing a crow. I haven't seen any bunnies for a while, which is a shame as I do like seeing them lolloping along.

Talking of bunnies, the Easter bunny came to Tesco's with me yesterday and threw three Smartie eggs into the trolley (I tried to fight him off but he wasn't having any of it). I automatically buy three eggs anyway, having three children and over twenty years of conditioning. Today, I was feeling a bit peckish and realised that one child is away until June and therefore will probably not notice not having an egg at Easter. I did enjoy eating it (apart from the modicum of guilt I was feeling at stealing from my child). There is something particularly satisfying about a Smartie. When I was a child, I used to sort all the colours into a type of Smartie bar graph (this was obviously when the poltegeists didn't want to play). It was always disappointing when the brown ones made the tallest column, which was often as in those days there were two shades of brown (interesting statistical angle to add to the fun). Another sad thing about Smarties is that you used to get the carboard tube and plastic lid combo with a letter on the back of the lid. Now you have those cardboard hexagonal tubes with a meagre opening that isn't quite big enough to get a good scoop of Smarties out in one go. You can't assuage that sad feeling of having run out of Smarties by trying to spell your name without half the letters you need. No wonder numeracy and literacy standards are going downhill in this country. Forget SATS, Smartie bar graphs and letter lids would sort it all out. Maybe that's why they're called Smarties!

'Did anyone remember to deliver Fibonacci's Easter egg?'

4 comments:

Hayley said...

Does that mean you have an Easter egg for me? ;)

Hilsbils said...

Aha, you will have to wait and see! Have you got me one?

J Adamthwaite said...

I miss smarties tubes too. They don't have the same appeal in those silly hexagonal things - a bit like how opal fruits aren't so attractive now that they're 'starbursts'.

Hayley said...

I haven't got you one but I have a meeting with the Easter Bunny tomorrow, so I'll let you know what he thinks. It could go either way, to be honest.