Wednesday 25 March 2009

Punching the Air and Shouting 'YAY!'

My bin was smelling a bit yucky, so I invested in some bin liners from Marks and Spencer that were not only scented, but decorated like a bone china teaset. I think the roses are meant to cheer you up when you try to remove your festering garbage from under the kitchen sink, and I admit, they are jollier than the usual funereal black. The scent really doesn't work, the combination of cloying floral hints from the plastic and the dust thrown off the green bits of bread make uneasy companions in my nasal passages. This morning the uplifting effect of the roses was lost fairly quickly by the smell and as I staggered to the front door the gooey lid of the marmalade made an escape onto the living room carpet.

I'm actually being very dynamic today. I always wake up way to early, and someone at work suggested I go in later as a) I've got lots of time owing and b) I must have lots I could do around the house before I go in. (This was said somewhat cheekily as I'm not known for having the cleanest house around).

Well, this morning I woke up at 4.30am, yes, that's 4.30am. I couldn't get back to sleep so read a chapter of a rather depressing book about a teenager dying, made a cup of tea and got back into bed with a Suduko (too easy today). By 5.30am I'm feeling restless and get up. I realised that the open air pool started an early birds swim at 6am, so, (be prepared to be impressed here) I had swum a mile before 7am this morning! It's still only 8.20am and I'm determined not to be at work before 10am. I have vacuumed, done a load of washing, filled up the dishwasher and put out the rubbish (see above). And now I am writing my blog! How much more can I achieve today? It's so exciting! I'm saying all this because I've read a self help book recently, in actual fact I will be prone on the settee by 7.30pm this evening (with a box of chocs in one hand and glass of wine in the other watching something that is unlikely to improve my mind).

So, how's your day going?

4 comments:

J Adamthwaite said...

I love mornings like that (although I can't say I've ever woken up at 4:30 before!)

And I can well imagine the roses/rubbish combination. I can't smell anything pine scented anymore (apart from real pine of course) without a faint whiff of the memories of cleaning toilets or scrubbing something nasty off a carpet. There's no point in pleasantly scented cleaning products: the pleasant scent will soon lose its pleasantness.

Hilsbils said...

I hope Christmas isn't dogged by toilet memories every year.

I think lemon is quite a nice cleaning scent. It cuts through the bad pongs quite effectively and isn't one of those smells you trip over much in day to day life. Might put you off G&T and a slice though.

J Adamthwaite said...

There was one Christmas when we had an artificial tree and we bought one of those pine scented tree hanger things... the tree totally smelt of toilets after that! No such problems with a real tree though - thank goodness things that smell of things don't actually smell of what they're supposed to!

Yes, lemon's OK, I suppose...

Anonymous said...

if you recycle, your bin will be less unpleasantly full and you won't need to take it out so often!