Monday 16 March 2009

Fairies, Bears and Ironing Boards

When I was little, I was really jealous of girls who had amazing toys. I remember being particularly envious of one girl who had the shiniest, smartest, loveliest toy ironing board in the world complete with bright red iron. It is hard to imagine being jealous of an ironing board now. If anyone tried to give me such a thing they would be in jeopardy of having it banged on their head. I also wished I had a fairy costume to wear to parties. The dainty girls had fairy costumes complete with wings and magic wand. They were the type that went to ballet classes. I had a hand-me- down bear outfit, which I had to be unceremoniously zipped into, and would then overheat in. I had a verse to recite while wearing it, which I can't remember now, but will probably come back in the middle of the night. I didn't want to be a bear. I wanted gossamer wings in cream and a multi layered net skirt in delicate pink. Not big leather paws.

Maybe this is why I dream of being Darcy Bussell in the bath.



I wish, I wish I wasn't a bear

No comments: