Monday 13 April 2009

Sartorial Swimming

I finally managed to get to the outdoor pool again yesterday. Taking the advice of my hairdresser I bought a silicone swimming hat, and decided to splash out (pardon the pun) on the £15 goggles to make sure I could read the Sunday papers when I got home again. My head is quite large (no jokes please), and the silicone 'sheath' didn't want to go on. It had to be wedged firmly into place, giving me a permanent frown. I topped this with the gorgeous goggles, which after a few minutes suck your eyes out to fill the vacuum, so I ended up looking like a bad-tempered lizard. I don't think Claudia Schieffer has anything to worry about yet. Every couple of lengths the hat started to slide upwards and filled with air, so I looked like a surprised lizard with a balloon on my head. The only consolation in all this is that no-one would recognise me. I think I'll avoid the nose clips, there are limits.

I did manage to do the mile in about 48 minutes, so I should be able to do three miles next weekend within the session time of 3 hours. Watch this space!

No comments: