Friday 13 February 2009

An Urban Adventure

We had a fire alarm at work today. It was quite jolly, seeing everyone emptying out of the building, wondering where they all came from, and why hadn't I seen them before. After negotiating the three lane gyratory system to reach the huge car park assembly area, chatty groups formed in the winter sunshine between the myriad rows of sparkling parked cars. Graffitied trains trundled past on the underground railway tracks (which are overground here) as monitoring cameras cheerily swung around watching everyone from the top of their forest of poles. I decided to enjoy another moment of anarchy (even more adventurous than using the number ten in Suduko), and popped into a pie shop to buy a cornish pasty on the way back to the office.

Luckily no smoke was issuing from the 15 storey office block I call home for 8 hours a day, so I am safely back after the adventure, sitting in my bland grey office and listening to the buses rumble past the window decorated with pollution stained net curtains. We're not supposed to open the windows here due to the air conditioning/central heating. Another little moment of anarchy!

The cornish pasty was washed down with a cup of tea, but I do feel a bit gloopy and am wishing I had gone for the organic soup instead.

No comments: