Tuesday 27 January 2009

What Makes a Good Cuppa?

I really love my cups of tea, and one day want to open a tea shop. In fact, I consider myself something of a connoisseur of the perfect cuppa. When I go into cafes and ask for a cup of tea, I anticipate a refreshing brew coming my way. I sigh with disappointment when a surly employee shoves a polystyrene cup of boiling water, with a tea bag bobbing along the surface, across the counter at me. If I ask for the milk, the surly person waves a hand in the direction of some, 'I can't believe its supposed to be milk' containers. When you fish the tea bag out there's nowhere to put it and I have to restrain myself from dumping it on the counter in protest. There's something about those polystyrene cups that makes the water go a bit foamy and unappetising too.

I also don't like those conglomerate chains that charge you a fortune for the tea, and then give you a twig to stir it with and a jug of milk that won't pour anything until you have to wrestled with the lid for a while. You end up sitting at a dirty table wondering why you keep going to these places.

The worst though has to be the cafes that really don't understand tea, and bring out a cup of hot water and a tea bag in a sachet. These are the places where you always have to remind them about the milk as well.

So, wait anxiously for the best tea room in the world to open. It might actually involve tea leaves (remember them?), tea strainers and the much missed tea pot. It might take some years to happen, but it will be worth the wait. Sticky buns at the ready!

3 comments:

KatieP said...

Hello Hayley's Mum (!) If you are ever in South Wales you must go to "Ye Olde Worlde Tea rooms" in Bosherston, Pembrokeshire. Stunning location (by the sea) it's been a cafe for 100 years, has barely changed in that time and the lady who runs it is 85. She's amazing. I worked there for 8 years growing up and they do the best tea- in a pot, with a jug of milk, tea leaves and strainer. It's pretty much perfect.

Hilsbils said...

Thank you for the tip! I will make sure I go one day!

J Adamthwaite said...

I've actually stopped ordering tea in most places now: it's almost always disappointing. Part of the problem, I think, is those water boilers that keep the water constantly hot but not quite boiling - and certainly not fresh. Metal teapots don't help either. I look forward to your teashop and proper tea!

Hello, by the way! I've come over via Hayley in a complicated sort of way - I'm Dave from the band's other half.