Tuesday 20 January 2009

How can you look good when you buy your clothes from Halfords?

I was back on my bike today, it was great to feel my legs whirling around again, and I felt smug sliding down the sides of traffic jams. The only downside of this mode of transport is the attire. Its hard to look your best in padded lycra trousers, yellow flourescent jacket, gauntlet sized padded gloves and a helmet. Things get worse on arrival at work; taking the helmet off and finding your hair plastered to your scalp. The other choice would be not to wear the helmet and risk finding my brains plastered to my scalp. A no brainer really (pardon the pun).

At least driving you arrive looking the same as you left home, but feeling rather irritated because all the traffic lights were being spiteful and turned red as you approached every junction, and it cost you more than going on your bike.

Bikes are a bit more sociable, you can have a chat with other cyclists in the bike cage as you unlock your bike and get 'combat ready' in all the protective gear. I managed to get locked in the bike cage once. I had to plead with a passer by to let me out and pass my card key through the bars to her. Its not a great way to start the day, but at least I know how a hamster feels now.

No comments: