Sunday 25 January 2009

Slithering through Household History

Cleaning out the junk under a bed today I first came across the Christmas decorations, then a bit further back some ear-rings I'd forgotten about, and further back still some photographic equipment that I'd inherited. The further under the bed I crawled, the further back in time the finds came from and the more dust that had accumulated. Flushed with the success of the first clear out, I attacked a very large wardrobe, and the same thing happened. I finally went back to circa 1989 with some of the children's school books. It felt a bit like being a household archeologist with the geological strata of events that unfolded. I think I need to buy a stripey jumper and start talking with a Somerset accent, 'and here we have a fragment from a wine glass, probably late 20th Century, showing that the occupants of this dwelling enjoyed some Cab Sav occasionally at social events'.

At least my house is getting tidier and I am finding all sorts of useful things I forgot I had. There is something fun about slithering on your stomach under a bed as well; reminding me of games of 'Hide and Seek'.

No comments: