Wednesday 7 January 2009

Hilly the Chilly Guru and Mine's a Pinter

It's very reassuring to have The Skip back again, I enjoyed the journey to work this morning, listening to my favourite (ancient) compilation tape. I know all the words off by heart and can sing along as loud as I like, and even felt happy when there was a traffic jam as I had more time to join in with Rod Stewart and Long John Baldry. When I say my tapes are old, I mean old.

There was a pause there while I went to chisel bits off the frozen Hilly Con Carne I'm warming up for dinner (best one ever according to younger son - this is quite something, because he's been eating one a week for the whole of his life - so high praise indeed).

Where was I?

Oh yes, ancient music.

(He used to pick out the kidney beans though).

I wish I hadn't put the Beatles on, 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' doesn't work next to the brilliant music and lyrics of the Stones' 'Sympathy for the Devil'.

(You can make the Hillys hotter and hotter over the years, so you sons are ready for the Vindaloo and Lager stage of life - I don't think the child rearing gurus mention that one).

When I recorded my compilation tapes, I didn't really think about how long I would be listening to them for, so ten years later that rogue track must have niggled for several hours in all. As does the dodgy first few bars where I didn't line up (dare I say it) the vinyl on the turntable properly.

(You know you'e been a success as a parent when you get to the point when you are standing in a pub and your child says, 'Can I get you a drink?')

How do you become a guru anyway? Maybe I should style myself 'Hilly the Chilly Guru'.

No comments: