Monday 15 December 2008

Plants and plummeting

Two spider plants in the bathroom make all the difference. They distract the eye from the wobbly wallpaper and cracked toilet seat (its still there), and you find yourself admiring fronds. Almost looks like something from 'Homes and Gardens' now. I finally got around to scraping the floor tile glue off the bath, so when I sit in it my backside doesn't get scratched - total luxury.

Went to a concert of military Christmas music last week, a strange combination of Peace on Earth and the Ghurka's garrotting dance. I thought they should replace the cutlasses with cheerleaders'pom poms. Perhaps that is the answer to the problems in Afghanistan and Iraq. Just swap the guns for cheerleaders' sticks - much more fun to watch on the TV newsreels and no one gets hurt (apart from the occasional incidental blow to the head). This has reminded me of when I took my sons to a canoe class one holiday. The over enthusiastic teacher made me join in the oar game. You had to balance an oar vertically, let go and move to the next one in a circle without any of them falling over and knocking you out. She then made me get in a canoe, and we made a 'raft' of canoes by lining up alongside each other. Everyone had to take it in turns to get out, run along the backs of all the canoes, then return, running gingerly along the fronts. I just caught sight of mischief in my older son's eye, had time to shout, 'Don't you dare', as he moved his canoe sideways and I plummeted into the Thames. Ahh, the school holidays, happy memories!

No comments: