Thursday 4 December 2008

Christmas is going Rusty

My bike is now repaired, but is still in the back of the car. As I drive to and from work I wonder whether I can tell colleagues, 'I've taken my bike to work', and look healthy and virtuous.

Christmas is fast approaching. I'm allergic to some of those Christmas decorations, you know the ones, flashing reindeer and elves on see-saws that glow in the dark and emit a buzzing noise like you're standing under an electricity pylon. In Kingston there is one particularly gruesome looking Santa that waves mechanically, with his head moving from side to side (in a permanent,'no you can't' fashion). His painted smile is reminiscent of something out of a Steven King novel. There could be thermo nuclear war, and somehow, this Santa would still be waving and wishing 'Peace on Earth' to the flattened landscape.

Then there are the over sized hydrocephalitic bears in the shopping centre which parents push unsuspecting babies up to in their buggies to help stop them screaming - the combination of synthesized musack and howling children doesn't work for me in creating an atmosphere of Christmas cheer. I went to the assembly halls in Slough in May one year, and there was a large snowflake decoration still attached to the front wall of the building. The rain had made it rust, and there was a long, tapering, brown stain underneath it. Strangely I quite liked it, reminded me of out of season holiday resorts, and picnics in the rain.

No comments: