Sunday 16 June 2013

Watch the Birdie

A humming bird hovered next to my deck this morning.  It wasn't brightly coloured - it resembled a very small, dull English sparrow in colour.  It's flight was completely amazing, how it held itself steady in the air and then darted sideways.  A helicopter, compared to the other birds' aeroplanes.

In the afternoon, I went to sit at the top of the hill, where you get a view of the horizon framed by trees.  The sky was a brilliant blue, and there was a translucent slice of moon.  Since I was a child, I have been a bit confused about the moon appearing during the day.  I know there is solid science behind it, but it still seems, well, wrong.

Once I recovered from the annoyance of seeing the moon in broad daylight, I noticed the slow whorling of a raptor.  He was very high up, but I could watch the ends of his wings making minor adjustments as he balanced on the themals.  It reminded me of floating on my back in a swimming pool, with my arms extended, and having to tweak my lower arms to keep from rolling over.  ( A less majestic an image, I know).

This magnificent bird brought to mind one of the poems 'we did' at school, Gerard Manley Hopkins, 'The Windhover'.  I sat and wished I could remember beyond the first two lines.  The fabulous thing about the internet is you can get this sort of stuff very quickly, even near the top of a mountain in a forest, so here goes:

I caught this morning morning's minion, king-
      dom of daylight's dauphin, dapple-dawn-drawn Falcon, in his riding
      Of the rolling level underneath him steady air, and striding
High there, how he rung upon the rein of a wimpling wing
In his ecstasy! then off, off forth on swing,
      As a skate's heel sweeps smooth on a bow-bend: the hurl and gliding
      Rebuffed the big wind. My heart in hiding
Stirred for a bird, – the achieve of, the mastery of the thing. 
Brute beauty and valour and act, oh, air, pride, plume, here
      Buckle! AND the fire that breaks from thee then, a billion
Times told lovelier, more dangerous, O my chevalier!

      No wonder of it: shéer plód makes plough down sillion
Shine, and blue-bleak embers, ah my dear,
      Fall, gall themselves, and gash gold-vermilion.


(....and I thought I was being clever using 'whorl')





   

No comments: