Wednesday 12 June 2013

Monterey Bay

I woke up to a beautiful, sunshiny day.  You can tell how hot it is going to get, I have noticed, by the depth of contrast between the sunny and shady patches of grass on the lawn first thing.  The sun spots were almost glowing this morning, boding well for a lovely day.

I took the bus to the coast, and as I walked out of the terminus, saw a sign on the building opposite saying, 'Tea Spa'.  As I like Tea and I like Spas, I thought this might be a place for me, especially as I had my bathing costume in my rucksack, ready for the beach.

There was a jacuzzi and a sauna, a private one for each guest.  This is a real treat - back in the UK you usually find yourself trying to hold your feet back from intruding into the personal space of the stranger next to you.  As limbs tend to float upwards in the bubbles, this can be quite a problem.  Well, none of that today.  My room was beautifully tiled, and had a plate glass window overlooking a bamboo garden with a sculpture in the middle.  I had my own pot of hibiscus mint tea to sip too. It was a rather splendid place and I came out very relaxed.

As I walked to the beach, I saw a bike hire shop, so thought I would get a bike to cycle along the coast path.  They brought out a bright pink contraption, with over long, curved handlebars.  Being familiar with bikes, I noticed it didn't have any brakes.  I know Chris Hoy can do without brakes, but not me.  When I asked for one with brakes, they laughed and said I just had to pedal backwards.

I wobbled off along the cycle path, trying to remember to stay on the right.  Braking was tricky and really didn't work if I wanted to stop on a downward slope.  As soon as I took my feet off the pedals, the bike set off again with a mind of its own. Eventually I started to feel more confident and was able to enjoy the view, and what a fantastic view.  Rolling waves, beaches with happy souls jumping around, surfers slithering down sheer rock faces in their enthusiasm to get to the sea, and a general air of happiness.

After returning the bike, and sitting on the beach and realising it really wasn't Brighton when the flock of pelicans landed, I went to the Marine Center and had a go at maneuvering a mini submarine camera in a large tank.  Lots of fun.

I love California!




No comments: