Friday 7 June 2013

It's Posh Here....

I woke up to an ethereal mist hanging in the forest.  The dampness made the earth smell particularly fresh and alive.

Gradually the sun burnt off the mist.  I was due to help with the gardening.  There is a lovely, cultivated square under the grapefruit, lemon and orange trees that needed weeding.  I pulled open the gate and walked into an olfactory delight - the scent of lemon mint mixed with grass and the damp earth.

I started extracting weeds from around the wonderful and abundant mint, and from around the strawberries.  You can imagine how surprised I was to be told that in California, mint is A WEED.  Yes, the stuff we actually pay for in supermarkets is a WEED here.  I took it quite well, and trying to look nonchalant, explained that in the UK, STRAWBERRIES ARE WEEDS.  We have such problems, they get everywhere and destroy all the other plants.......

I don't think anyone believed me.

Another surprise was that the chickens in the run next to us became rather excited about us weeding -  chickens in America EAT WEEDS.  As this included copious quantities of mint, I suspect that the next omelette anyone makes will have a strange after-taste.  I think maybe that OREGANO should be redesignated a weed to stop this becoming a problem.

While we are on the subject of eggs, I have noticed that the shells are much harder to crack.  I went to break an egg on the side of a bowl, it took so many bashes to open up, I felt like I should have been better equipped with a hammer.

I have been told this is because they particularly love their chickens here, and look after them very nicely.  

Now, who's for mint tea?


No comments: