Monday 24 June 2013

The Rain that Doesn't

The earth was moving in the forest today.

No, it wasn't an earthquake.

There was something burrowing just under the border next to my apartment.  The dead leaves were being puffed up.  Every so often there would be a pause, and a change in direction.  It was intriguing.  I waited to see whether a pink nose appeared, or maybe the talon of a dragon, but the tunneller had other ideas and disappeared back into the centre of the planet.

A mist was hanging in the trees, a cloud tangled up in the branches.  Later on it rained.  I could tell it was raining because the air was moist and heavy. I could hear the drops hitting the leaves above me, but nothing was landing. It was quite odd to go for a walk in the rain and not get wet.  I held my hand out, and counted twenty seconds before a I felt a tiny drop land.

I have been told that at certain times of the year it rains so hard that it is like the 'sea with slits in' (as Terry Pratchet once said).  This can last for around 48 hours, when the clouds know they have to throw everything they have at the forest to get anything into the ground.  There is an average of 49 inches of rainfall a year.  When I have a vase of tulips at home, I have to keep topping the water up, so I can see it must take an ocean to keep these huge trees watered.






  

No comments: