Wednesday 2 December 2009

Rapt Attention

There's a full moon tonight. When I went out in the early evening, I was admiring it through the spindly branches of some trees. Something caught my eye and in the darkness I picked out an exceptionally large spanned bird gliding silently towards me, which landed on a branch above my head. I was delighted to see that it was a beautiful owl, with his feathers puffed up against the biting December chill. Just to make sure I knew he was an owl, he put his head on backwards and posed like something out of a Disney cartoon. His huge 'eyes like saucers' were clocking everything going on around him. He looked rather arrogant, like he knew how handsome he was with the full moon and star scattered backdrop, how his presence made an otherwise nondescript suburban street something magnificent for a moment.

No comments: