Sunday 13 December 2009

Good Old George

In desperation to watch 'Strictly' last night, I pulled the TV out of the corner and unplugged the spaghetti of wires and cables that have been long hidden from view. The TV still didn't work, so I resorted to a DVD. Sadly, my improvements to the cable situation seemed to have finished that off too and the screen remained an ominous black even after I had shunted the DVD in and out several times. I gave up and had a glass of wine, then tried again. A lot of jiggling of one of the scart cables blasted the TV back into life, but sadly only ITV. I've got a freeview box that should offer about 100 million channels, but I am now limited to just one. So, I've had to change my allegiance from 'Strictly' to the 'X Factor' (blast, blast and double blast). I am now in a state of agitated excitement - will it be Ollie or the other one (can't even remember his name, sorry). One thing that was good was to see old George Michael doing my favourite Elton John song, 'Don't Let the Sun Go Down'. I had forgotten George still existed, which is a shameful admission, because I absolutely loved his stuff in the 80s, or was it 90s? I forget. So this spurred me on to a) get all my old best of Elton CDs out and have a jolly good singalong while cooking dinner and b) dig out some ancient going brown round the edges piano music for 'Don't Let'. My piano playing has gone rusty (from a not very shiny start it has to be said) so I suspect my neighbours will be singing something like, 'Don't Let her go near a piano again'.

Seeing your favourite 80s stars looking old is the same sort of shock as seeing policemen that obviously should still be learning the alphabet at low tables in a nursery somewhere.

Anyway, dear old George, thanks for being back and making it worth me scrambling around the nether regions of the telly.
Get this widget | Track details | eSnips Social DNA

Be glad, be very glad, that you don't live next door to me!

No comments: