Sunday 7 July 2013

The Parking Attendant

Today I was being a parking attendant, California style.  I was a very happy parking attendant being at the top of a hill in the middle of a temperate rainforest, in the sunshine.  A few people were sitting cross-legged on the grass behind me strumming mandolins and guitars, and it sounded sweet.

There was a low density of cars appearing over the brow of the hill, so I took the opportunity to practice some of my latest dance moves.  These had been learned while in the audience at a Beatles tribute band concert, downtown.  Everyone had started dancing straight away, and the floor was packed, mainly with Santa lookalikes (proving my theory that they live in Santa Cruz).

However, one person stood out from the crowd, wearing a tie dye shirt (I instantly knew we would have Karma), and a hat (I feel your concern, there were other clothes as well).  He was throwing some amazing shapes with his hands, while stretching up and then crouching down.  I knew I had to do this, the dance style would certainly go with my tie-dye shirt and friendship bracelet, so I asked for a lesson.

It was hard to keep up, but I got the hang of figure of eight movements with one hand curved over the other.  The move that went behind the head and round past my ears, at speed, was harder.  I wasn't too sure about the flicking moves, which might make people worry I was suffering from a fit of some sort, or that I had a swarm of bees around me.  My new friend encouraged me to 'be like water' with my hands.  So I tried.  He told me he had some lights in his bag, but needed the right tune to get them out, like 'Lucy in the Sky'.  Just as the words left his mouth, the band started up with, yes, you've guessed, 'Lucy in the Sky'.  He rushed to his bag and came out with his hand torches and flung himself energetically into his routine.  At the end he needed a break because the music was so overwhelming.  It was very good, but I suspected he had taken some additional help before the concert to be overwhelmed.

My new friend said it takes three weeks to perfect this dancing style, which is why I am now practising at every opportunity, including while being a parking attendant.  I did have to be careful to stop when I heard a car engine as I didn't want to alarm the drivers (this was tricky as there was a high ratio of Toyota Priuses which would sneak up on their electric option just when I reached the cascading water move).  

Not only am I learning to talk the California talk, but I am nearly able to walk the California walk too.   

No comments: