Wednesday 17 February 2010

Odd, Clever, Strange.

I was walking past the Tate Modern today, and thought I shouldn't walk past, I should go in and 'get me some culture'. For a huge place, I've only ever seen a few things that really grab me, and generally I find it rather disappointing. Today there was what looked like an outsized lorry container in the Turbine Hall. I wasn't sure I could be bothered to even go down the stairs to look at it. Then I saw a sign that showed you could walk into it from the other end, so, slightly intrigued, I went round. The container was open with the end dropped down making a broad ramp. It still looked too uninspiring to bother navigating the slight incline to get in. Just as I was about to turn away, a young girl went past saying, 'Wow, what an experience'. Confused, I wandered up the ramp and was drawn into the void. I walked further and further into the container and the darkness became increasingly thick, like soup. Faces came upon me suddenly, out of the apparent nowhere and people bumped against each other. It was disorientating, but mesmerising. It reminded me of seeing a swarm of bats one night in the park. I couldn't see them until they were right in my personal space, when they swooped away with a deft screw turn.

A cluster of pale faces marked the back wall of the container. Turning round, I could see the end of the Turbine Hall, in normal daylight.

Odd. Clever. Strange.

4 comments:

J Adamthwaite said...

I like the sound of this, although I haven't seen it myself. Did you see Anthony Gormley's Blind Light installation at the Hayward a couple of years ago? That was a similar premise, but you walked into a glass container filled with a thick white mist. You couldn't see anyone until they were very close and you quickly lost all sense of your whereabouts.

Hilsbils said...

No, I didn't see the Hayward installation, which is a shame as I love Anthony Gormley's stuff.

Thank you for all your comments!

Jonny said...

Oh toast! you should have more faith in the Tate, they are one of the few galleries to be able to host interactive artworks where you get to experience rather than just observe an artistic endeavour. You can also eavesdrop on people trying to sound arty (similar to listening to people choosing wine in a supermarket). It's a never ending game of "call my bluff".

Hilsbils said...

Occasionally there is some really great stuff in the Tat Mod, but generally it leaves me slightly bored and uninspired. There is a little water colour gallery next door to it, that has some genuinely good art on display. I go in there if I feel annoyed after seeing the other stuff.