Tuesday 17 November 2009

Existential Despair on a Park Bench

I was early for an outdoor meeting in a local town this morning, so I bought a lovely cappuccino and sat on a bench by a clocktower, enjoying the view. I was rather surprised when two older women walked past, and gave me a leaflet entitled, 'Comfort for the Depressed' with a soft focus photograph of female with the sort of expression that cleverly combined both existential despair with new found relief. The two women were hovering over me in a 'caring' way, exuding the sort of comfort they obviously thought I needed. I handed the leaflet back, saying thank you, but I wasn't depressed. I could have sworn one of them looked decidedly disappointed, as she tried to press the leaflet back in my hand. No, I said, more firmly, but with a large smile, 'I'm not depressed, I'm quite happy thank you'. They gave each other a look and walked off, I suspect they must have thought I was in denial, why else would I be sitting on a park bench in November? It's an odd pastime, looking for people who are depressed. I think they should be careful, as someone who was only just on the happy side of life might be swayed back into gloom by their ministrations. The leaflet could rustle up more customers by itself, it was mainly a funereal black, and just looking at the miserable woman on the front could turn an alright day into something more glum.

I recounted this story to a colleague back in Prefab Towers, who said I must be the only person who worked there at the moment who wasn't depressed. Those ladies should try their leaflets where I work, they would be a lot happier with the success rate.

No comments: