Thursday 17 September 2009

First Fire of the Season

I scooped up a scuttleful of tired looking lumps of coal that had been lounging around in a heap in the back garden all summer, and filled up the grate in the sitting room. It was wonderful to see the heart come back into the house. Soft, flickering light from the flames and candles, soothing music, glass of red wine and some hot chilly with a very good friend. What could be nicer?

I just love the autumn. I love the crisp chill in the air in the mornings, the smell of bonfires. Woolly jumpers and jeans and walks in the park crunching over dried leaves. Drawing the curtains earlier and earlier and making a warm nest to curl up in. Good books and cups of tea and no guilt about it being a lovely evening - I should go out. Lovely evenings are by my fire, while the rain pelts down outside.

Pull up the drawbridge, batten down the hatches, it's nearly time to hibernate.

1 comment:

J Adamthwaite said...

I love this time of year too... although it only works when there isn't a howling gale and when those lovely leaves aren't all slimy and slippy from endless nights of rain. Mind you, I do like to be curled up in bed with a really heavy rainstorm crashing around outside the windows...