Saturday 20 June 2009

100th Birthdays and Subconscious Brilliance

I went to the newsagent's round the corner to buy a birthday card this morning. I was looking for a 'happy 40th' but noticed, at the top of the column of cards, was a stack of eight identical 'Happy 100th Birthday' cards. I thought the newsagent was optimitstic that there would be 8 people celebrating their 100th birthdays in the local area before the cards go a bit off white/ (you know what's coming now) taupe/ecru/bamboo/cream. Or, as soon as one person hits 100 in the area, they'll be getting eight identical cards. They had wisely avoided the blue or pink themes, and had hedged their bets with a brown and gold effort.

The fortieth birthday party was an extremely cool affair, it was in fact a music festival. How impressive is that? Being confident enough to know you have so many friends, you can make a whole music festival happen.

Sadly I couldn't stay long as I had to get to a fundraising quiz night, where my piece de resitance was knowing that the Isle of Wight was called Vectis by the Romans. It's odd, I didn't even know I knew it, it just happened. How many other useful things do I not know I know, and how can I unlock them (other than by persistent attendance at quiz nights, waiting for my subconscious to jump into action?). The GP sitting next to me was also surprised he knew about Pixie someone being the current number one. I think we should all go to more quiz nights, we might eventually find that we are fluent in Sanscrit or something seriously impressive. In the end we came second and won some wine, obviously my one useful contribution made all the difference there.



I've run out of ideas, maybe I should go to the pub quiz tonight

No comments: